2013-07-14

Self-care

Today I'm going to talk a bit about the importance of self-care.


I think this topic is important for everyone, not just dialysis patients. Stress can be deadly, literally:  http://www.livescience.com/2220-stress-deadly.html

If you don't know how to deal with stress in your life, it's time for you to figure it out. Being on dialysis is one of those big life stressors.  According to the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale, illness is ranked at #6 on their list. So it's up there with death of a family member and divorce. And it's up to you to do the things that make you happy. And if nothing makes you happy, then find something that does because living as a stressed person is doing you more harm than good.  Plus, you're probably pretty miserable to be around and you want to build a positive support system around yourself.



I am pretty busy during the week with work, volunteering, and other commitments. I try to schedule movies out, dinners, and other social activities during the week because the weekend is for the introverted part of me, when I can read, relax, and rejuvenate--and be alone!  I will catch up on TV programs that I have PVR'd, get lost in a book (right now I'm reading through the Game of Thrones series), do spa stuff for myself, and get outside for some peace and quiet. By the time Monday rolls around, I'm ready to be back at work interacting with people.

So think about what you enjoy. What hobbies do you have? Have you dropped any of your hobbies since starting on dialysis? Why? Can you do something similar to replace that hobby or passion? Is there something you've always wanted to try?

Remember that exercise is one of the best de-stressors out there. It doesn't have to be anything major - but a walk around the block is a good start. Keep your blood flowing and your heart pumping. Keep yourself in shape. Remind yourself that you are ALIVE. If you enjoy something like swimming, figure it out. There are waterproof bandages available in medical supply shops and if your exit site is well-healed, there's no reason you can't swim. Over the winter I usually take an aquajog or aquafit class a couple of times a week. After being in the pool for a couple of hours, I do a quick dressing change in the change room (in a private cubicle) and then go home and shower and do a proper dressing change. In my 8 years of being on dialysis I have never had an infection because I take GOOD care of my exit site - but I also don't let it stop me from doing activities I enjoy. I've done belly dancing, weight lifting, and zumba. Some days it's a bit of a challenge if my blood pressure is low, but then I just take it slow and do what I can. You can, too.

Another aspect of self-care is taking care of yourself mentally. If you're dealing with the grief of being on dialysis (remember, #6 on the list!), then go for counselling. Taking care of your mental health is just as important as your physical health and I think in many ways it makes you stronger. Be willing to make yourself mentally stronger. I was resistant to counselling of any kind for a long time, but a couple of semi-important events convinced me that it would be beneficial for me to take better care of myself mentally. I've always been self-aware, but a little afraid of what some psychologist or counsellor might find while fishing around in my brain. However, it's a good idea to move past that fear and invest in yourself. If you're looking at counselling as a self-care option, talk to the social worker at your clinic. He or she should be able to refer you to someone to work with.

Finally, like I've already said: figure out what makes you happy and do things that you enjoy. Take time for yourself, away from other people. It's OK. And your health will thank you for it!



RachelT

No comments:

Post a Comment